Sunday, June 6, 2010

A new cupcake icing/filling



Last night I made another batch of cupcakes. I am averaging two a week at the moment. Last weekend I was trying out my new cake decorating tips. This week I've been trying out a new icing/frosting I'd read about that sounded interesting. I've trialled it a couple of times now, and just use cornflour instead of standard flour to ensure it's gluten free. This icing is not sugary-sweet and doesn't have the grittiness of buttercream. I didn't realise how gritty buttercream is till I made this icing and buttercream on the same day and tasted them side by side. This is a soft, fluffy icing that I doubt you could pipe or decorate with. It is custard-like, and therefore probably won't freeze either. Mr E and I ate the leftover icing on spoons it was so yummy...


FROSTING

Ingredients:
· 2 tablespoons flour
· 3/4 cup milk
· 180g butter
· 3/4 cup caster sugar [that's right, NOT icing or powdered sugar]
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preparation:
In a saucepan add a small amount of the milk to flour then stir to make a smooth paste. Add remaining milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Cool.
Cream butter using electric mixer. Gradually add sugar; beat well. Add cooled milk mixture. Beat until light and fluffy, this takes 5-10 minutes but it's worth it. Add vanilla.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shelle,

    Just making the icing for dad's b'day cake and ran into a problem. Three people in the kitchen is just too much. I couldn't use the stove top so I decided to hide in the pantry and use the microwave. 2 mins in the microwave, stirring every minute quickly and convieniently made the roux.

    -LJ

    ReplyDelete