Heat Wheats - another UFO done [including tips for making your own]
I bought a bag of wheat from our local produce seller ages ago. I had intended to make heat wheats, new heat packs. But like so many UFO's I never go there. I was trying to find a place to put the large, rather in-the-way bag of wheat today, when I decided it would be quicker to make some up than try to find a home for the heavy bag of wheat. I was right.
This is a shoulder/neck heat pack. My previous one was a lovely maroon corduroy, but it had seen better days. Aren't these lovely cotton prints? When feeling sore, I think they have the potential to bring a smile to my face.
Miss 8 also decided to help me out. Here are the two that she made:
If you decide to make your own heat packs at home, there are a couple of tips I've learned over the years I've been making them:
1. Sewing channels every so often while filling your pack make it work better - you don't end up with all the wheat down one end.
2. Spritz with water or put a glass of water in the microwave when you heat it up. Otherwise they could catch fire. VERY IMPORTANT.
3. Add dried lavender with the wheat when filling for a lovely aroma when it's heated.
4. Make up in a few different shapes for the different purposes you need them.
5. They work really well as bed warmers in winter - instead of hot water bottles or electric blankets. Make a soft pillowcase for one out of polar fleece you can throw over after it's warmed. My kids sometimes cuddle them on a cold night!!
I wear many hats including wife, mum, chauffer, cook, dressmaker, family historian, housekeeper, friend, crafter, daughter, role model, musician, planner, sister, quilter, mentor... and I love all my hats [well maybe not the housework one!].
He who brings out the starry host one by one and calls forth each of them by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.
Why do you complain, Jacob? Why do you say, Israel, "My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God?"
Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
SEWING TO DO LIST
fabric boxes for my new sewing room storage
fleece - tracksuits or jackets or other warm clothes
You are most welcome to use any ideas you find here to make things for your family, friends, or yourself, but please don't sell any ideas or items made from tutorials for profit. If you're really keen to make some of these things to sell I would appreciate you contacting me. I would love it if you used my photos and linked to my posts, providing the appropriate credit for the content. Any other inquiries please contact me. Thanks!