Thursday, October 1, 2009

meat cubes & eggplant parmigiana

My sister is an amazing cook. I like to think I'm pretty good, but she is amazing. While I am always taking shortcuts, she takes the time to do things 'properly', or will try recipes that require time &/or effort. So does Mum. I'm the sort of cook that looks at a food and says, that is too much work for something that will be eaten in one mouthful.


Like meatballs. I happen to love meatballs. But the effort of making enough to feed my family & then have enough leftover to freeze for another day [I told you I take shortcuts] means I don't make them. Then I realised that if I make meat cubes it would be quicker... so I press my mince mixture into a slice tray, bake in the oven, then cut up into cubes for freezing or frying.


I don't think sis would do that. She'd make meatballs. So would Mum. This is why I'm amazed that I've fallen in love with one of my sister's recipes & will keep making it. It's delicious, of course [everything she makes is], and so QUICK & EASY even a lazy cook like me will do it.




Eggplant Parmigiana
eggplant
150g plain flour [I use rice flour as my gluten free alternative in this recipe] seasoned with pepper
750g bottled tomato pasta sauce
200g grated mozarella cheese
100g grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp fresh basil [I only keep dried - it works fine]

Cut eggplant into 1 -1.5cm slices.
Dust with flour, shake off excess.
Fry 4-5 mins in frying pan till browned

Spread a layer of tomato sauce in baking dish & top with a layer of eggplant. Add more sauce, mozarella, then basil. Repeat layering. Finish with sauce, mozarella & parmesan.

Bake 40 minutes at 190C.

No comments:

Post a Comment