Saturday, March 3, 2012

hats, hats, hats

If you've ever lived in Australia, especially in Queensland, you will have heard of the ad campaign to "Slip, Slop, Slap".  It's been around since the 80's, a way of reminding us to prevent getting sunburnt [and therefore skin cancer] by SLIPPING on a shirt, SLOPPING on sunscreen, and SLAPPING on a hat.
 
Every Sunday after church my girls play in the church yard: tag, cricket, hula hoops, and anything else they feel like.  But we always seem to forget to bring hats, and the baseball-style caps I've been keeping in my car just don't protect your face, ears and neck well-enough.
So last week I decided to fix this problem by sewing hats especially for church.  They are fully reversible, so two hats in one, and the brim can be flipped up on the ends for a curled style brim if preferred. 
 I have had this hat pattern in my stash for years.  Literally years.  I don't know why I didn't make it up sooner.  It is just lovely, easy to sew and quick.  I made these five hats over two evenings, production-line style.
Of course, the first time we took our hats with us, it rained!

No comments:

Post a Comment